Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Refusing the filter..

We are on hold with the filter procedure - Dad has decided he doesn't want even a temporary filter. There is a slight chance the filter could clog and cause leg swelling and pain, but the risks and repercussions of developing clots without a filter are much greater. He has to make the decision for himself, but we're hoping he changes his mind. The purpose of the filter is to prevent clots from shooting to the lungs or other. As I mentioned in the last post, if Dad were to get a clot, blood thinners are no longer an option due to the fact that melanoma has a tendency to bleed and he has it in his brain. With lack of activity and with Dad having a pulmonary embolism already in the past, he is at an increased/very high risk to develop clots. A clot right now without the filter could/would likely be fatal. The doctors said he can think about it and they could still do the procedure later today or tomorrow, but you all know how stubborn Dad is, so we'll see how it goes...

...ah the frustration

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates Aften. I am so used to walking over or talking to your mom and dad that this is such an isolating feeling, It was good to hear your moms voice last night. Continued prayers for your dad , and also for all of you. If I can help out with babysitting let me know ( Tina offered as well) Not sure when it will be a good time to come to the hospital, we will see how your evening goes. Take care and hugs to all. Elaine

    ReplyDelete