Hi, I'm Aften - Earl's favorite daughter (don't tell Ariel). I'm not a blogger, but decided to put this together 1. To help myself get through this process (selfish I know) 2. To provide a central outlet for information, prayers, encouraging thoughts, jokes and comments (make a few of them sarcastic too - you know how dad likes to BS) and 3. Because I know dad is going to love reading this one day as we look back on this time and say...yeah, that was scary,but you kicked some serious cancer ass!
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
ICU Update
Dad is in the ICU and being monitored closely, but stable at the moment and doing as well as expected. Mom on the otherhand, is a mess - if anyone has any suggestions Re: how to get her to take a nap or a shower...or a shot...or a xanax (ha - seriously) I'm all ears! Will write more again tomorrow, but just wanted to give a small update and say thank you so much for all of the comments, thoughts and prayers - means so much more than you know. Turns out blood clots are more stressful than brain surgeries, who knew?? Anyway, keep the prayers coming - we need them more than ever, big hurdle to cross this week - Thanks again
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Earl I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this. I know you're a very strong man and can beat this! Praying very hard for your recovery. Bonnie--you must be so strong; I can only imagine what you're going through. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. Try and stay strong....He's just testing you.
ReplyDeleteLove, Joni Wilken
Just a bump in the road...and there may be more but all of your strength and positivity will see you through. Lots of hugs and prayers your way aften. He's got this!! :)
ReplyDeleteFirst of all Aften....thank you soooo much for all the updates. I check the blog daily and now I've been looking a couple times a day. I really appreciate you keeping those of us who love Earl and Bonnie in the loop!!
ReplyDeleteBonnie...come on girl. I can only imagine how awful this is for you but as you know Earl and the family need you. You will get thru this, please let people help you. Please rest and eat to keep yourself strong.
Earl....we love you....Keep kicking ass!!!!!
Paula & Ray :)
Prayers heading your way. As for your mom (and I say this as a caregiver for my husband who has spent many stressful days and night in the hospital with him). There's nothing that you can say or do that will get her to leave his side. The stress and anxiety of watching a spouse go through anything like this in incredible. Barnes does have "shower rooms" for family members of ICU patients to use. Just ask at the information desk and they'll give her a key. Maybe you can get her to try that? That way she doesn't have to leave for long. As for sleeping, bring her a pillow and blanket and let her curl up in a chair next to him. Even is she doesn't sleep much it will be better near him than worrying about what's happening if she's not there. It's amazing where you can learn to sleep. Once he starts to get better and can go home, she'll sleep again. She'll be OK
ReplyDeleteHang in there,
Julie McMillen.
Aften, thanks for keeping up with this blog...you are so strong! We love you all and have been praying. He will get through this, he's a Strieker;) if you need anything at all, I am off every Friday, so just call me....I mean anything! Bonnie, you are so strong, but need to stay that way...I can't imagine what you are going through, but to stay strong, you need to eat and nap! Love you all sooo much! Earl, keep fighting!!
ReplyDeleteLove Brad, Jessica and Kailey
Many prayers for all of you! Stay strong. You're family bond is the strongest i've ever seen. sleep when dad sleeps.
ReplyDelete(((hugs)))
Anna, Ryan, Maddy
Dale
Patti and Steve
Hi Earl, Bonnie,
ReplyDeleteSorry we have'nt gotten to see the both of you since this whole ordeal started! We know you have a lot on your plate right now. Stay positive and good things will happen! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care.
Keith & Melinda Knobeloch
Hey bonnie and earl.
ReplyDeleteThanking about you lots can't wait to see you at the holtgraves superbowl party. Looking forward to seeing you sweat over some chili and hoping you bring your a awesome party mix. Keep fighting the fight. Bonnie don't forget to rest
Thoughts and prayers coming your way... we miss you guys
Lots of people praying for you Superman! STAY STRONG and keep that positive drive in your heart-you're gonna get through this! Love you Zipperhead!!
ReplyDeleteCheryl,Dale,Cameron Caleb and Cierra
Hang in there, Cuz!!! We are all thinking of you and wishing you the absolute best! Get well soon so we can see that GREAT smile of yours again!!
ReplyDeleteWe love you guys!! Stay strong yourselves so you can enjoy the time when he comes home.
Kevin and Lynn Winkeler