Hi Everyone,
Another good day today (thankfully). Not much new to update - Dad is still in the same shape as yesterday, but is up and moving around,(hopefully) slowly getting better and stronger.
Since there's not much to report today, I thought I would take the opportunity to share some information about melanoma as well as an amazing self tanning product I just learned about.
Did you know every eight minutes, someone in the United States will be given a melanoma diagnosis and that every hour someone will die from the disease? That statistic is disgusting. Melanoma is one of the most progressive and unpredictable types of cancer and the most common type of cancer in young adults. Everyone thinks - 'I'm only in the sun for a little while...one more tanning session - it won't happen to me.' I've been there too. Many people often downgrade the severity of the disease, because if caught very early, it is treatable. However, in many cases, there are few/no symptoms for the disease until it has already progressed (quickly) into other organs of the body.
Even before Dad's diagnosis (since my tanning bed days in college - that's right, guilty!) I've been paranoid about my skin. Each year I visit the dermatologist for an annual visit. Cannot stress how important it is to do self skin checks and visit a dermatologist annually. The original source of my Dad's melanoma is still unknown and they think his likely started in the body, but in most cases melanoma does start on the skin and is a result of sun damage. Catching melanoma early is crucial in being able to treat with any chance of survival. Here is an amazing resource for learning more about the disease. It also shows symptoms and things to look for when doing self skin checks:
http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/melanoma-101/what-melanoma
Ok ok, so fine we'll all just be pale and live in the dark, melanoma-free right? Everyone likes to have a little glow - Just makes you feel better... BUT, there are so many (much safer) options out on the market now as alternatives to tanning beds and the natural sun. I just came across this inexpensive and AMAZING product (thank you Shelly Kohrmann) I've tried all types of sunless tanning options and yes, some have left me looking like an oompa-loompa and smelling like poo, BUT this stuff is amazing! Natural looking color, inexpensive, immediate results and smell free. The lotion version can be found online for $10 and they also make a spray version that falls in the $25-$30 range. hmmmm, much cheaper than tanning and cancer treatments. Definitely worth checking out - I highly recommend!
http://www.amazon.com/Playboy-Celebrity-Sunless-Golden-Tanning/dp/B004GT0CFY
Ah! Love this! Love love love the glitz. Glad u like it tun and love u guys so much!! Glad to hear all this good news!!
ReplyDeleteEarl, Glad to hear things are looking up! Keep working and hopefully your next move will be out of there! We are still praying for you and the family! Hang in there! Bonnie if you need something let us know
ReplyDeleteLove ya
Brian, Linda and boys
Strieker family - happy to hear things are progressing for Earl. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. If there is anything I can do to help let me know ... only 5 minutes from Barnes.
ReplyDeleteKyle Eversgerd
I guess the prayers are helping so we definitely will continue to send them to you and your family. Glad you are out of ICU and things are starting to look up...every little bit helps!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, thanks for sharing the sunless tanning product as I have had the basil cell carcinoma on my legs and my husband had a spot on his back. I have not used the tanning beds for quite some time now...NO ONE SHOULD...I really think they should be banned but people think it can't happen to them and they may be the ones to get the bad news some day...I sure hope not. It's easier to just quit now and save your life then wish you had later!
Alan/Marcia Stine
Earl,
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're doing better and out of the ICU. Our prayers are with you and your family.
Chris & LIsa Rivera
Hang in there, Earl (and Bonnie, too!). We are all pulling and praying for you.
ReplyDeleteDale & Susie