Monday, November 28, 2011

Annual Holiday Traditions Continue!

Every year since I was one and a half months old (and even a few years before, I understand) our whole family has gone to Daniken's Christmas Tree Farm together to pick out a Christmas tree - I always look so forward to this day. It's one of my favorite days of the year and I'm extra thankful we were able to carry on the tradition this year.

We bundled up as usual, although thankfully for Dad (and Canaan) it wasn't too cold out this year. From time to time, we've added new family members to the bunch - a few years ago, Austin's fiancé, Kristen started joining and this year was Canaan and Ariel's boyfriend, Brett's first year (they were equally excited).

The last couple of years we've gotten lazy and picked a pre-cut tree out of the shed, but this year we got ambitious and picked a pre-cut tree from just outSIDE the shed :)

As always, we huddled up in our usual spot to take our annual family photo and after we've had our fill cracking peanuts and browsing through ornaments and wreaths, we headed over to talk with Santa and drink a cup of hot chocolate. This was Canaan's first experience with Santa - or should I say, Santa's first experience with Canaan :) Santa was a woman, which I found strange, but Canaan was his usual social/chatty self, not scared one bit! He even waved to Dad when we were in the shed drinking our hot chocolate - this was his first real (open-handed, intentional) wave! Such special moments. Before we left, we took a wagon ride, which we haven't done in years - I think it was just an extra special trip this year, so we spent more time than usual.

So much to be thankful for - it's all of the little things you don't think about on a day to day basis that make life so special. Anyway, here are a few photos - hope you all had a safe and healthy Thanksgiving weekend!





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun!! Amazing how we take the small things in life for granted..so glad to hear things are going well and I pray that it continues!! Happy Holidays to the Strieker family.
    Cooky and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Earl and Bonnie, hope all is well. Sorry we haven't seen you for a little while. Glen just made it home Friday afternoon after spending a week in Chicago for work. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Hope to see you soon. Glen & Geralyn

    ReplyDelete